Monday, October 13, 2008

Contruction Has Started!!

Day One of "The Great Kitchen Redo"
After much planning, agonizing, worry and tears, and one total breakdown on my part the kitchen redo has started. I am sitting here in the new "kitchen" (front bedroom) listening to all the banging and tearing down of our old life. Today is tear down and then it will be putting it back together again. Six to eight weeks of complete fun. I have spent the last couple weeks packing everything up and finding places to put everything. I know this house is small but it really seemed small when I was trying to find places for everything.
Here are some pictures of the before. This shows what will be the biggest change.

The wall between the kitchen and the dinette area will be gone. All one room now.

I took these yesterday after we had finished getting everything out of the three rooms. The window seat that Ron built a few years ago will be gone but we are replacing it with another seat to match the cabinets. I love my window seat! I had dreamed of having one for years before Ron made it and I had been right, it is wonderful!! Thanks Ron for a wonderful Xmas present!!!
We redid the kitchen after we put on the addition so that would be around 29 years ago! Okay, it wasn't done high class then and it is showing the years but I liked my kitchen. As much as I used it the past few years it has been more than good enough. But even I will admit it was time to do something new with it. These cabinets we bought unfinished at Wood World way back then. They were stained and then painted a couple of times.

The refrigerator wall. What can I say about the refrigerator wall? That it was never really finished? 29 years and still it wasn't finished. Oh well. It worked even if it really never looked all that good. I had a large pantry and storage areas. All this will be redone with two pantries on either side of the refrigerator.

This is the new "kitchen" for the next 6 or so weeks!! It is the front bedroom. We put the table in there. Talk about cozy!!

The front of the house with the dumpster and port-a-potty!!
I will try and post some more pictures tomorrow of the tear down part and of the floor plan.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I want to cry! I am so happy you are doing this but it has looked liked this since I was 3 years old. What can I say, I will miss it!

Darcy said...

ok, correction, I did cry.