Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thursday in Utah

Today was the first day I spent alone since I got here. Darcy has taken most of the last two days off so we kept busy either shopping or goofing off. So today I was home alone without a car and it rained in the morning. I finished one book the night before and then went ahead and reread it in the morning! It had taken me several weeks to get through it just reading once in awhile and when I finally sat down and read for several hours I found I was really enjoying it so went back and reread it!! Oh what was it you ask? How to be a Bad Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes. Think what it said to me was just get out and look. Enjoy being part of nature.
Well, after I had finished the book I decided to do just that and I got out and had a short walk up the street and into the local cemetery to check out the mountain and see if there were any birds around. Luckily by that time it had stopped raining so I didn't have to get wet!!
The first thing I noticed was all the American Robins. They were everywhere. I think I must have seen at least 30 of them in the very short walk I took.


They sounded like they were laughing at times. I had never heard them sound like that. I haven't been out with that many of them. Normally we get one or two in the yard for maybe a week in February. This year I didn't notice any but I wasn't out in the yard much so I might have missed them.
That is the only bird I got any pictures of but I did see a few more. House Finch, House Sparrow, Scrub Jay, Black Capped Chickadee, Starlings, Downy Woodpecker, and some Bushtits. I think that is it. Not many but lots of fun looking. I took some pictures of the mountain in back of the house. Everyone knows how much I love taking pictures of mountains!!


As you can see the snow is just about gone from area. When I got here on Tuesday there was enough snow on the front lawn to sled down. Today there isn't any left at all! There are just a few patches left here and there. It has been in the upper 50's and mid 60's most days and with the rain last night and this morning it has melted most of the snow. I wonder if they will get anymore of it or if this is it for the season. I guess there is always a chance of a late March snow storm.

If you look across Salt Lake you can see that the mountains on Antelope Island still have lots of snow on them.


After I got home Jessy came home from school and got ready for a birthday party that she went to this evening. I think they were going ice skating but I'm not real sure on that. It might have been roller skating.


She just got home and said she had a great time. I didn't talk to her as it is past her bedtime so she was off to bed right off. I'm sure I will get the update tomorrow morning.


Darcy, Kody and I went over to Darcy's coworkers home for a short visit this evening. Her grandson and his mom are moving to Kingman, Az and he is friends with Kody so we went over so he could say goodbye. Somehow I don't think Kody understood that he was saying goodbye but he had lots of fun playing anyway!
When we got back Kody and Darcy made up his brownies that he is taking in to school to share for his birthday tomorrow. He had lots of fun making those!!

Mixing on his own

Mixing with Mommy


And the all important LICKING THE SPOON!

No comments: