Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Jim's Trip to Peru


I have asked Jim to write something up so I can post something about his trip other than the little I remember that he told me. Hopefully he will email me back something soon. I'm not sure where he is right now and if he can get to the internet so don't know how long it will take.
For now I will post the pictures of the climb he took and a little that I do remember.

He flew into Lima on July 1st I think. Somewhere around there if not exactly on the first. I think he spent a couple of days there and then went over to Huaraz. I know he loved it there. He will have to tell you all about it though. He stayed in a hostel there and it looks like I have lost the link to it so can't show it to you. While there he did a three day hike with guides and porters etc. Then he did a climb up Pisco which is 19,000 ft high! He said he made out great for most of the trip. He went with a guy he met there and again a guide and porters to help out. A couple of days before his climb three Americans died on a mountain right by there. They had been staying in the same hostel and he had talked to two of them a lot. Theirs was a techincal difficult climb but still worried me some!! I was glad that he wrote before he left that they were missing and if I heard something to know it wasn't him they were talking about!!
These are the pictures he sent back from that trip.







Top picture is of Pisco Mountain. Then the base camp they had. Next is the guide and Jim' partner. Last of course is Jim. Here we are in high 90 degree weather and he is playing in the snow!

Around the 10th he left Huaraz and was going to make his way though the unbeaten path to Huanuco and then on to Huancayo where he said it was more touristy. That is as much as I know right now. I haven't heard if he made it though the back country but I'm sure Tammy would have called it there was a problem. You would won't you, Tammy?

This doesn't say much I know but we will hope for the first hand account soon.

1 comment:

Spike said...

Sounds like it should have been a very cool trip. I hope to hear the first hand account soon!