Monday, July 17, 2006

Eastward Bound

Steve and I will be spending some time on the East Coast this summer. We are visiting the Carolinas next month for a wedding, then it's off to the Big Apple in September.

I am not sure what to expect in the Carolinas. While I look forward to the wedding, I am rather apprehensive about the trip as a whole. So far, we have no solid plans on how to spend the entire week. What's certain is that we are flying into Raleigh and staying on Ocean Isle Beach, which is where the wedding is. We will have a car and may go as far east as the Blue Ridge Pkwy and as far south as Charleston to visit some Civil War sites. If Steve had his way, we'd be spending the entire time birding. With his new lens and a collection of birding books, he is all ready to go. How much time I spend with him will depend on how buggy the area is. I read about all the mosquitoes, no-see-ums and chiggers - according to some tour books, the area is infested! Needless to say, I am a bit freaked out. Let's hope the bug repellent will do its trick. If anyone has any recommendations or traveller's tips, please send them along.

If I end up not liking the Carolinas, I'd still have NYC to look forward to. I've already been there twice and can't wait to make it out there again. 9 days in the big city! 9 days of shopping, theater, museums and most importantly, SPORTS! On the schedule, we have two days of baseball (both Mets and Yankees), plus four tennis matches (the semis). When we're not inside a stadium, we will try to hit Central Park (for more birding, of course), the Empire State Building, the Met and if we're brave enough, Harlem. I am hoping that the weather will cooperate this time around. The last I time was there, it rained half the time. In fact, the Yankee game I had tickets to got rained out, the only one in that series to do so.

2 comments:

The Old Women said...

Oh wow!! Another country heard from. I was wondering about the wedding trip and if it was still on. You will have to drive by your old home Steve. It used to be out in the middle of nowhere but I doubt that it is now. I'll figure out where it was and let you know. The bugs weren't that bad Lisa. The heat will be worse than the bugs at this time of year. Take lots of pictures.
Thanks for the great post!

Darcy said...

Scott's suggestion for bugs is his experience from the Army- eat match heads. The sulfer detracts the mosquitos and some other critters. When it comes to Chiggers; if you get some put clear nail polish over them ASAP. It kills them. Hope that helps. Please get some pictures of our old house area. I really want to see where I was born.