Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Dad, 87 Years Young!!

Recently my Dad read an article in the newspaper about an 87 year old women who lives in town. The writer of the article (which I didn't read by the way) stated that even at her age the lady gets out in her garden to work everyday!! I guess they wrote it in a way that made it sound very unusual. I know it is hard for "young" people to understand how much a person over 60 can do but sometimes I am amazed at how little they think their elders can do.


Now my dad was a little "upset" about the way the piece was written. Now I say he was upset but I'm sure he would say he wasn't but I can't really find the right word for what he was feeling. He couldn't find the right word either it was just that he felt something about it and it wasn't completely good.


A few days after he read the article he asked me to take a picture of him working on his fence. Now you have to understand, he has been rebuilding his front fence for a month now. He has been tearing down the old one, digging deep holes for the new posts, painting and hammering it all together. All this by himself. He has been working on it steadily even if it hasn't been as fast as he could have 20 years ago. This would be a large undertaking for a 40 year old and as everyone knows, he isn't 40 anymore! (His baby, me, is way over that already!!)


In honor of his very hard work and his never say die attitude here are the pictures of the very young at heart man, my dad.


Click to enlarge pictures

1 comment:

David and Carol Williamson said...

David wrote a comment, but it got lost, sorry!! He really enjoyed what you wrote about your Dad, and so did I. He looks really good in the photo's.